Empty the Cove Is Back!
Saturday, August 10th, 2024
The Empty the Cove “Race” was founded 25(?) years ago by Thom and Eliza Harrison and family as a way of instituting a non-competitive seafaring event for all Club’s members. All are invited to participate, whether on the water or just for lunch on shore at the dock.
Two families share the organization, this year the Corning and Caldwell families. If you are interested in helping out with next year’s event (or this one!) email Alison at email@example.com.
9-10 am: Pick your fate at the Sylvester’s Cove Dock
10:30 am: Start
12 noon: Lunch and announcement of winners.
How it works:
· Before the race, participants choose a sealed envelope that contains a secret number representing their designated finishing rank.
· Their boat number is written on the outside of the envelope. This envelope remains sealed and is marked with the name of the entrant and retained by the race committee.
· The entrant is also given a paper plate marked with their boat number, which they hold up at the finish line so their finishing sequence can be recorded.
· All craft then race (usually two classes, one for rowboats and the like and one for sailboats and powered boats)
· After the finish, the race committee opens the envelopes and compares the actual finish position with the record kept by the Committee boat. This determines whose finish position most closely matches their “fated” position.
· The second place is a box of candy that the winner can keep; the first place prize is a big box of candy that the winner has to share
· The “last place” winner gets a special trophy!